April is Parkinson’s Awareness Month. As a family caregiver, this is the ideal opportunity for you to learn more about this devastating disease so that you can identify your parent’s individual risk factors, be vigilant about potential signs and symptoms, and prepare yourself if they were to be diagnosed. Parkinson’s disease is a progressive disease, meaning that it worsens over time and there is no cure. The level of care that you can give you our parent can make it to a major difference in how they are able to handle their Parkinson’s disease and their quality of life and health moving forward.
Some things that you should learn about Parkinson’s disease during Parkinson’s Awareness Month include:
- Approximately 1 million people throughout the United States are currently living with Parkinson’s disease
- This number is more than those living with muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and Lou Gehrig’s disease combined
- Approximately 60,000 people throughout the United States are diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease each year
- Experts estimate that thousands of people are suffering from Parkinson’s disease but do not get diagnosed
- More than 10 million people worldwide are living with Parkinson’s diesase
- Risk for developing Parkinson’s disease increases with age. Approximately 4% of those living with Parkinson’s disease are diagnosed before the age of 50
- Men are at one and a half times the risk of developing Parkinson’s disease during their lifetime than women
Starting senior care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions that you make for them during the course of your caregiver journey. A senior home care services provider can be in the home with your aging parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they always have access to the level of care, support, and assistance that they need. These highly personalized services ensure your aging parent can meet their individual needs and handle their challenges and limitations in the ways that are right for them. This allows your parent to stay healthy, happy, comfortable, and safe while also pursuing a lifestyle that is as independent, engaged, and fulfilling as possible as they age in place. As their family caregiver this will give you a tremendous sense of peace of mind knowing that both when you are with your parent and when you are not, your senior has everything that they need to live their highest quality of life.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Memorial, TX, please call the caring staff at At Your Side Home Care. We will answer all of your senior care questions. Call today: (832) 271-1600.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week