Depression: Not a Normal Part of Aging
Although depression is common among older people, it’s not an inevitable part of aging.
Elder Care Houston: Depression strikes more frequently among seniors than other population groups, but there are a few steps you can take to lower your risk. Try these six steps:
- Prepare for major life changes, such as retirement or moving from your home of many years. Expect these changes to bring discomfort and plan ahead to implement ways to make them easier.
- Work to maintain friendships. Friends can help ease transitions, especially the loneliness of losing a spouse.
- Develop a hobby. Hobbies may help keep your mind and body active.
- Stay in touch with family. Let them help you when you feel sad.
- If you are faced with an overwhelming list of tasks to do, break it up into smaller jobs that are easier to finish.
- Get physically active. Exercise can help prevent depression or lift your mood if you are already depressed.
Older people who are depressed can gain mental as well as physical benefits from mild forms of exercise like walking outdoors or in shopping malls. Gardening, dancing, and swimming are good forms of exercise. Pick something you enjoy and begin with 10 to 15 minutes a day. Increase the time as you get stronger. Being physically fit and eating a balanced diet may help avoid illnesses that can bring on disability or depression.
If you or your loved one needs help or assistance with elder care in Houston or the surrounding area, contact At Your Side Home Care, 832-271-1600. We are a home care agency providing quality and affordable elder care in our community.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week