It is an unfortunate fact that over 33% of caregivers continue to provide intense care to others while at the same time they are suffering from their own poor health. As a worker in the senior care services, you may already be very familiar with the necessity of caregivers taking care of themselves, and finding ways to de-stress. But perhaps you’ve had these thoughts:
- I’m too busy to take time for myself
- I’m too tired to go out with friends
- I don’t have time to participate in recreational activities
- I have too many other people depending on me
- I just need to keep working to get everything done
It’s common to feel this way, but it’s also self-defeating. The truth is, you need to find a way and find time to care for the one (you!) that’s caring for everyone else. Otherwise, you are heading for a crash-landing.
A study of caregivers show that in general, they are likely to experience:
- Failure to participate in regular exercise
- Mild to chronic sleep deprivation
- Poor eating habits
- Failure to stay in bed and take care of themselves when ill
- Postponement of their own medical appointments, or even failure to make them in the first place even when necessary.
No one can take care of yourself as well as you can. Sometimes you might have some barriers in your mind that prevent you from taking the time to keep up your own health and wellness. Have you ever thought?
- If I don’t do it, nobody else will
- I’m being selfish if I put my needs first
- I don’t want to ask anyone else for help
- Nobody can help me
It’s time to move forward! Think of where you will be in your life and what you will be doing weeks or months from now. How about years from now? Hopefully you are thinking of a healthy you, a happy you. What you do today and in the present determines how you will feel in the future. You are worth it! You are not being selfish to look after your own needs; you are being wise.
Taking care of someone else is never more important than taking care of yourself – take a minute to think about it. If you don’t stay healthy and strong then you won’t be taking care of anybody else. If the person you care for really needs you and can’t make it without your help, then the best way to be able to continue caring for them is to be the strong and healthy and mentally well person you know you can be!
If you have a loved one who could benefit from the help of senior care services in Hilshire Village, TX contact the caregivers at At Your Side Home Care. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care service. Call (832) 271-1600 for more information.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- September is Healthy Aging Month: How Can an Elder Care Provider Help Your Parent Stay Healthy? - September 15, 2017
- How Do You Prepare to Manage Your Senior’s Health Conditions During a Severe Weather Emergency? - September 7, 2017
- Are Your Parent’s Shoes Increasing Their Risk of Falling? - September 1, 2017