Senior Care in Memorial, TX
There is nothing quite like slipping into a soothing bath to help you relax and feel like all of the stress and challenge of the day has washed away. This can be especially important when you are on a senior care journey with your elderly loved ones. Whether you are dealing with caregiver stress and need something to help you relax and relieve stress, or want to give your parents a special way to enjoy getting clean and easing their muscles, a warm bath can be an indulgent part of your care routine that you enjoy on a regular basis.
While there are many different types of bath products available to enjoy in your bath, making your products at home is a wonderful way to add some mental stimulation to your routine and to ensure that your bath is customized to your needs and your personal tastes. This bath jelly is a thick, luxurious version of shower or bath gel that is nourishing to the skin, gently cleansing, and easily customizable to the colors and scents that you want. Because of its thick texture it is easier to control than regular gels, making it easier for seniors with mobility issues or arthritis in their hands. This gives your parents more independence in their bathing and helps to reduce waste of product.
What You Will Need
- 1 packet of unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Fragrant or essential oils
- Food coloring
- 3/4 of a cup of water
- 1/2 of a cup of liquid soap
- A mixing bowl
- A saucepan
- A clean storage container such as a glass Mason jar
What to Do
- Empty the gelatin packet into the mixing bowl and set aside
- Place the saucepan on high heat
- Add the 3/4 cup of water to the saucepan
- Boil the 3/4 cup of water
- When boiled, carefully pour the water into the mixing bowl
- Mix the water and gelatin powder, allowing the gelatin to dissolve completely
- Pour liquid soap into the gelatin mixture
- Add in two drops of the food coloring into the mixing bowl
- Add in the fragrance or essential oils, about 5 drops, and begin stirring very gently
- Stir until well combined, but not so much that the bubbles become agitated
- Add in the salt and continue stirring
- Pour the mixture into the storage container
- Place the storage container into the refrigerator
- Allow the jelly to firm up in the refrigerator, which could take several hours
- When being used, check to make sure that the jelly has not developed mold, and dispose if it does
- Dispose after several weeks, but can be kept for quite some time if kept in an airtight container and in a cool place
Special tip: Make a different jelly for each of your parents so that they can have their own scent and color. Make a double batch of the jelly and divide it into four individual bowls prior to the fragrance, color, and salt stages. Add a few drops of different colors and scents into the bowls and then layer the jelly in two different containers so that you, your parents, and their home care provider can tell which jelly is for which parent.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Memorial, TX, please call the caring staff at At Your Side Home Care. We will answer all of your senior care questions. Call today: (832) 271-1600.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- How to Develop a Plan to Help Your Senior to Stop Driving - June 20, 2018
- What are the Signs and Symptoms of a Migraine? - June 14, 2018
- How is Effective Communication Important to Your Caregiver Journey with Your Senior? - June 8, 2018