Home Care in Memorial, TX
Hiring an in home health care services provider for your elderly loved ones can be one of the best ways to ensure their daily physical, mobility, and emotional needs are met and that they live the highest quality of life possible. Even if you are available to provide physical care and assistance for them on a regular basis, home care offers an additional source of emotional support and socialization that enriches their lives.
Each home care provider is different, which means it is important to evaluate potential care providers to find the one who not only gets along with your parents best, but who also provides the level of care and assistance that supports a safe, healthy, happy, and engaged lifestyle. When evaluating these potential care providers, one of the most important characteristics to look for is creativity.
Creativity is a desirable personality characteristic for many people, but when it comes to home care providers, being creative can make a tremendous difference in the effectiveness of the care and value of the relationship. By encouraging creativity in the care provider and her approach to care for your parents, you support a level of care that can truly improve their overall health and well-being.
Some of the ways that creativity can improve home care for your elderly loved ones include:
• Stimulate their mind. Feelings of boredom, isolation, loneliness, and loss of motivation are common among elderly adults. Keeping their minds active is essential to fending off memory loss and cognitive problems, reducing anxiety and depression, and supporting a longer, healthier life. Creativity approaches to care keep your seniors interested and constantly work their minds so that they do not fall into complacence.
• Ease anxiety. Many seniors, particularly those with cognitive challenges, experience high levels of anxiety related to certain care activities, such as bathing, dressing, or toileting. While a clinical approach can make these tasks seem “necessary”, a creative approach can make the experience less stressful for your parents. For some seniors, an approach that integrates humor or distracts them from what is happening makes it easier for them to deal with the discomfort of these tasks. Things that may seem silly to you, such as letting a senior take a bath wearing water wings or the care provider faking an accent while washing her hair to sound more like the woman who used to do your mother’s hair at the salon, can make a situation seem safer or less tense.
• Build a relationship. While it is a professional relationship, the bond your parents develop with their in home health care services provider is an important indication of the success and effectiveness of the care. By encouraging your elderly loved ones to engage in creative activities such as crafts, music, and even dance with her, the home care provider can reach out to them, foster conversation and sharing of emotions, and build a strong relationship that improves the overall quality of their care.
If you have a loved one who could benefit from the help of home care in Memorial, TX contact At Your Side Home Care. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care service. Call (832) 271-1600 for more information.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- Is Your Senior Stumped about What Types of Exercise She Could Do? - January 19, 2018
- Use These Tips to Help Seniors Recognize Phishing Emails - January 11, 2018
- How to Wash Hair for Bedridden Seniors - January 4, 2018