Home Care in Memorial TX
Memory exercises stimulate neurons in the brain. Neurons are the nerve or brain cells and each one is connected to up to 10,000 other neurons that send signals to each other via synapses. These neural pathways develop in relation to learning. The more often specific information is relayed, the more entrenched becomes the pathway, resulting in memory.
As people age neurons die off. In most areas of the brain, no new brain cells are created. Keeping the ones we have active is vital to memory retention. Below are memory games designed to help your loved one enjoy the process of keeping their brain active.
Several websites offer online games that your parent can partake in at their own convenience.
- AARP offers a brain health assessment that suggests specific brain-smart lifestyle adaptions. Games on the site include word games, counting games and games that stimulate memory through shapes and colors. Stayingsharp.aarp.org
- The Memory Practice was founded by Doctor Michelon with the mission to “help adults boost and maintain their brain functions.” It consists of brain games or exercises for attention, memory, reasoning skills, verbal skills and visuospatial, which helps you identify what you see and the space between objects. Visuospatial skills enable you to recognize faces, shapes and sizes, to name a few of its attributes.
- Lumosity offers brain training games that are created by scientists and game designers. Your parent can take an initial brain fitness test, see how they stack up against those in their age group, and then watch as they improve after training their brain. Some of their services are free while for others there is a monthly subscription fee of either $11.95 per month or $47.96 per year.
In addition to online games, there are board games designed to stimulate the neurons and improve memory. These include:
- Recall—a memory improvement board game that measures and improves the ability to recall information. It is the “Winner of the Academics’ Choice Mind Spring Award in recognition of mind-building excellence.”
- Memory Challenge Games come in various editions that include Cooking, National Parks and Adventure.
- Telepathy is a board game described as Battleship meets Sudoku which exercises important mental skills including memory.
Home Care Provider
At times it can be difficult to fit in board games and online memory skills assessments into a schedule
that is filled with daily tasks that need to be completed. If you find this to be the case, consider obtaining the assistance of a home care provider. These caring professionals can provide companionship and engage your parent in conversation, activities and meals shared. They can also assist with the daily activities of living such as bathing and dressing, giving you more time to make enjoyable memories with your parent and other family members by spending an evening around the table playing mind-challenging games.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in Memorial, TX, please call the caring staff at At Your Side Home Care. We will answer all of your senior care questions. Call today: (832) 271-1600.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- How to Develop a Plan to Help Your Senior to Stop Driving - June 20, 2018
- What are the Signs and Symptoms of a Migraine? - June 14, 2018
- How is Effective Communication Important to Your Caregiver Journey with Your Senior? - June 8, 2018