Excerpted from The Comfort of Home for Chronic Lung DiseaseTM
By Caring.com Staff
Adapting the home for a person who is partially or fully disabled can be a difficult process or a simple process. In general, the more adaptations (changes) that can be made early on — with a view toward future needs– the easier life will be for everyone concerned. Few caregivers can afford to remodel a home totally, but doing any preparation in advance for home care in Hilshire Village TX will help make a big difference.
It is important for readers to be aware of the “ideal” as they plan the changes that make sense for their situations.
The ideal home for the care of elderly or disabled persons is on one level (ground floor). Having more than one floor is all right as long as there is an elevator or other approved lift device. The ideal care home is laid out so that the caregiver and the person in care can see each other from other rooms.
Whether care will take place in your home or in the home of the person who needs care, the following factors must be considered:
- Is there enough room for both the person and items such as a wheelchair or walker?
- How accessible is the home if walkers or wheelchairs are used?
- Is a doctor, nurse, or specialist available to supervise care when needed?
- Is there a hospital emergency unit close by?
- Is the home environment safe and supportive and does it allow for some independence?
- Is money available to hire additional help?
- Is the person in question willing to have an in home care caregiver?
- Can the caregiver manage this role along with other family and personal responsibilities?
continue reading here
For more information about home care for your aging loved one, contact At Your Side Home Care. We provide quality and affordable home care in Hilshire Village TX and the surrounding area and are available to answer any and all of your questions. Call us at 832-271-1600.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- Seniors with Dementia: Dealing with the Challenges of Showering - July 18, 2017
- Age-related Macular Degeneration and Your Parent - July 12, 2017
- Tips for Caring for a Parent with Alzheimer’s - July 6, 2017