Elderly Care in Memorial TX
There is a common misconception that elderly care is just for adults who are extremely old or who are suffering from an extensive list of medical issues and challenges. This is simply not the case. While this type of care can be helpful for seniors with these pressing needs, an elderly home care services provider can also be valuable for older adults who are dealing with moderate limitations and challenges. This can dramatically benefit their quality of life and help them to live a lifestyle that they desire and deserve.
One of the services that an elderly care provider can offer to enhance your parent’s life is meal preparation. Many older adults struggle with challenges that keep them from preparing meals like they used to, which can negatively impact their nutrition and eventually their health. Encouraging them to work with an elderly home care services provider to prepare their meals can make a major difference for them and help your parent to overcome these challenges so that they can enjoy more varied, healthier, and more satisfying meals.
Some of the ways that an elderly care provider assisting with meal preparation can benefit your aging parent’s life include:
• Eating a healthier diet. What your parent eats makes a major difference in their health and well-being. If they cannot or are not willing to make meals for themselves, however, they might not be getting the nutrition that they need to thrive. Helping them with their meal preparation can make it easier and more enjoyable for your parent to cook varied, healthy, and enjoyable meals to ensure that they get the nutrition that they need. This also helps them to forego the convenience meals in favor of fresh, whole foods.
• Cognitive benefits. Cooking is a fantastic way to stimulate the mind and keep it strong, healthy, and responsive. The act of cooking requires tasks such as reading, interpreting, and following the steps of a recipe, measuring ingredients and using math to determine appropriate amounts of ingredients, and using cognitive processing and memory skills to follow through with cooking techniques. This works the mind and keeps it more active. As they are cooking, your parent can also share stories and memories about the food or ingredients, strengthening their memory skills and helping them to maintain the speed and reliability of their memory recall as they age in place.
• Social benefits. One of the primary reasons that elderly adults tend to stop cooking full meals as they get older is because they no longer have the fulfilling emotional aspect of the preparation or eating. Eating tends to be something that families do together, giving them an opportunity to reconnect, bond, and spend quality time together. When an elderly adult no longer has a family at home to cook for and eat with, they lose motivation. A care provider can assist your parent with cooking, giving them the opportunity to talk, laugh, and share, and then eat their meals with them. This boosts their mental and emotional health, and helps to ward off issues such as depression, anxiety, and feelings of isolation and disconnection.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elderly care in Memorial, TX, please call the caring staff at At Your Side Home Care. We will answer all of your senior care questions. Call today: (832) 271-1600.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- Is Your Senior at Increased Risk of Diabetic Eye Disease? - November 17, 2017
- Could You Be Overlooking Some Home Modifications for an Aging Adult? - November 9, 2017
- Tips for Helping Your Senior with the Emotional Aspects of Stroke Recovery - November 3, 2017