Elder Care in Hilshire Village, TX
As adults age, it is not uncommon for them to experience changes in their skin. Skin afflictions like wrinkles and dry skin are quite normal for elderly adults to experience as is thinning skin. Skin that becomes thinner due to age can be fragile and it tears easily. For this reason, elderly adults should take the steps to protect their thinning skin and prevent further damage to it. Read on for more information about thinning skin and what elderly adults can do to manage it.
What causes thinning skin?
Changes in skin are a natural part of aging. As adults age, they lose the layer of fat that lies just under their skin. For this reason, elderly adults can experience thinning skin that bruises easily. Other factors that contribute to thinning skin include sun exposure (over years and years), smoking, genetics, dryness, and the use of certain medications.
How can elderly adults protect their skin?
There are several ways elderly adults can protect their skin and prevent bruising, tearing, and cuts. Here are a few suggestions:
- Smoking can cause a multitude of skin problems (among many other health problems), including thinning skin. For better skin health and better health overall, elderly adults should try to quit smoking.
- Elderly adults reduce prolonged sun exposure. When out in the sun, it is a good idea to wear a sunscreen that has an SPF of 15 or higher. Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside and reapply it every 2 hours for the best protection.
- Make sure skin is moisturized by applying a gentle moisturizing lotion to skin daily. Other ways to hydrate skin include drinking plenty of water and humidifying the air in the home with a humidifier.
- Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables is a great way to stay hydrated and to maintain healthy skin. Many fruits and vegetables are excellent sources of antioxidants which can be great for skin health.
- Getting plenty of certain vitamins can also help maintain healthy skin. Elderly adults who are concerned about their thinning skin may benefit from talking to their doctor about taking certain supplements. Vitamins A, C, E, and K have shown to help thinning skin. These vitamins can also be found in healthy foods such as green, leafy vegetables, red bell peppers, citrus foods, nuts, and avocado.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Hilshire Village, TX, please call the caring staff at At Your Side Home Care. We will answer all of your senior care questions. Call today: (832) 271-1600.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- Is Your Senior at Increased Risk of Diabetic Eye Disease? - November 17, 2017
- Could You Be Overlooking Some Home Modifications for an Aging Adult? - November 9, 2017
- Tips for Helping Your Senior with the Emotional Aspects of Stroke Recovery - November 3, 2017