Elder Care in Hunters Creek, TX – A Delicious and Filling Snack Recipe for Your Senior Loved One
Snacking is an important part of your elder care plan. Most nutritionists and doctors agree that healthy snacking throughout the day is better for many seniors and young adults alike than eating three large meals. These snacks provide a continuous stream of nutrition, prevent overeating, and balance blood sugar. Snacking can also help seniors who cope with memory problems and other eating challenges to eat more without the intimidation and emotional responses often associated with presenting them with large meals.
When it comes to creating the right snacks, whether you enjoy them with your parents, they enjoy them independently, or you provide the materials to make it easier for elderly health care services providers to create and serve the snacks, it is important to make them both nutritious and delicious. This encourages your elderly parents to snack on good foods rather than reaching for high-salt, high-fat, or high-sugar options that have negative impact on their health.
These vegetable pinwheels are visually appealing and pack plenty of flavor in a tiny size, making them perfect for setting out for gatherings, serving during movie night, or even creating a light meal.
What You’ll Need
- 4 burrito size flour tortillas. You can also choose specialty wraps such as spinach, tomato, or garlic-flavored for variation
- 8 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1 packet of dry ranch dressing mix
- Large mixing bowl
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 1 bell pepper, julienned
- Rubber spatula
- Sharp knife
What to Do
• Place the softened cream cheese in the mixing bowl and sprinkle the ranch dressing over the top
• Use the rubber spatula to combine the two, blending the dressing mix into the cream cheese until there are no clumps and the mixture is smooth and consistent
• Place a tortilla on a cutting board or other flat surface and spread a medium-thick layer of the cream cheese mixture onto the top, covering it to within half an inch of all of the sides
• Sprinkle a quarter of the cheese over the top of the cream cheese mixture
• Add a quarter of the black olives and the bell pepper
• Starting at the bottom, tightly roll the tortilla, pulling it toward you and tucking the ingredients in as you roll until you create a firm log-like shape
• Repeat the process with the other 3 tortillas and remaining filling ingredients
• Chill the rolls for at least 15 minutes or up to overnight
• Use the sharp knife to trim off the uneven ends of each roll and then cut into 1-inch thick slices
These pinwheels are a delicious snack or light meal option just as they are, but if you want to add more protein and create a more filling treat, top the other ingredients with thin slices of deli turkey, chicken, or ham before rolling. Try using different colors of bell peppers to subtly change the flavor and create a bright, attractive finish. If your elderly parents enjoy these pinwheels and want to enjoy them as a meal, you do not need to cut them up into the small pieces. Simply cut the chilled rolls in half and serve as wraps with a side of fruit, macaroni salad, or other complement.
If you have a loved one who could benefit from the help of elder care in Hunters Creek, TX contact At Your Side Home Care. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care service. Call (832) 271-1600 for more information.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- Use These Tips to Help Seniors Recognize Phishing Emails - January 11, 2018
- How to Wash Hair for Bedridden Seniors - January 4, 2018
- Do You Have a Support Plan in Place for You? - December 29, 2017