Along with a nutritious diet, exercise is crucial for a healthy feeling of well-being both physically and mentally. It used to be thought that the elderly should do a lot of resting, not exert themselves and generally do a lot of sitting. Contrary to those old false beliefs, people in their senior years should enjoy regular physical activity with allowances for any chronic conditions of course.
Does exercise help a senior feel better?
Regular exercise is great for both the body and the mind. When a person’s body is all charged up and energized, their mood is improved, their brain is more alive and their memory also improves. Absolutely everyone can benefit from exercise. It doesn’t matter if they are perfectly healthy in body and mind or suffer from some kind of illness. Regular exercise can even help in the treatment of depression.
It’s definitely true that exercise can help the senior body. But the motivation to do it is sometimes a challenge. That’s where an elderly home care provider can really help out! Sometimes all an elder needs is a walking partner or a swimming buddy. Their caregiver can be just that!
Some benefits of exercise for elders
- Promotes the building up of the elder’s muscle mass.
- Burns excess calories.
- Exercise helps to counteract the slowing of metabolism that comes with age.
- For those who need to lose weight, exercise makes it much easier.
- Helps to boost the immune system.
- Promotes better bone density.
- Helps to control blood pressure.
- Both heart health and digestive health are benefitted.
- Reduces risks of developing conditions like Alzheimer’s disease.
- Improves both flexibility and posture.
- Helps to reduce falling risks because it improves strength and balance.
- Helps in reducing symptoms of arthritis.
- Keeps a person in a better mood. The endorphins which are produced promote happiness and alleviate stress, frustration and depression.
- Is excellent for brain health; is suspected to slow down the deterioration of memory.
Home care for the elderly is far more than just a helper in the home who assists the elder with bathing and dressing. The caregiver can also help with nutritious, freshly made meals and transportation to exercise classes or the swimming pool. A variety of exercise is one of the keys to alleviate boredom. A walking partner who can go at your elderly loved one’s pace and be of assistance when needed is also a role that the home care provider can fill.
If you have a loved one who could benefit from the help of eclder are services in The Heights, TX contact the caregivers at At Your Side Home Care. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care service. Call (832) 271-1600 for more information.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- Use These Tips to Help Seniors Recognize Phishing Emails - January 11, 2018
- How to Wash Hair for Bedridden Seniors - January 4, 2018
- Do You Have a Support Plan in Place for You? - December 29, 2017