Many seniors these days are choosing to stay at home, which is also called age in place. They love their home and neighborhood and they just want to stay comfortable in the familiar surroundings of their home for the rest of their life. Many seniors own their home and aren’t paying on a mortgage; their monthly expenses are utility bills, food, medication etc. They don’t have an interest in trying to sell their home and pull up all their roots to move somewhere unknown and unfamiliar.
Yet most seniors are not 100% independent. How about your elderly parent? Have you noticed as she ages there are more things she needs help with? This is where elder care comes in. An elderly home care provider can be that loving and compassionate caregiver who is there to take care of your mom and help her with everyday tasks when you can’t be.
It starts with a simple phone call. Then you will get an assessment which will identify the needs of your mom. A skilled and loving caregiver, either daily or live-in depending on the assessment, may provide the following services:
- Personal care including help with personal hygiene, getting dressed or undressed.
- Meal preparation – assistance with preparing meals or even complete meal prep.
- Help with walking and getting around. This could be day, night or both.
- Companionship, around the house or to events outside the home
- Assistance with bathing and showering
- Transportation to doctor’s appointments, hairdressing appointments, social events and so forth
- Reminders to take medication so that they are taken on schedule
- Light housekeeping which would include tidying up, doing dishes after meals but not to include heavier cleaning such as shampooing carpets etc.
- Shopping for groceries or clothing, personal items etc.
The trend for elders choosing to stay at home is increasing and because of this, there are an increasing number of services being offered to help the senior person age in place. There is live-in care, part-time care, home health care, hourly care, travelling companions and many more variations. They are all slightly different and may cater to a variety of different needs, depending on the extent of care your elderly loved one requires.
Elder care helps to increase the quality of life for both you and your loved one. Your elderly parent gets the help she needs so she can feel confident and remain as independent as possible in her own home and you can feel comfortable that she is receiving high quality care.
If you have a loved one who could benefit from the help of elder care in Hunters Creek, TX contact the caregivers at At Your Side Home Care. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care service. Call (832) 271-1600 for more information.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- What You Should Know About Parkinson’s Awareness Month - April 19, 2018
- Are You Having Trouble Finding Caregiver Support Groups? - April 13, 2018
- FAQs About Stress in Elderly Adults - April 6, 2018